(1)REALLY AND SINCERELY DEAD. [Item by Bill.]Harry Houdinidied 92 years ago today:
The Official Houdini Seancewill be held this year in Baltimore at the Jewish Museum of Maryland.The event will feature talks by Houdini experts and performances by magicians.The museum is currently home to the exhibitionInescapable: The Life and Legacy of Harry Houdini.Note: This event is SOLD OUT.
Although his fame was based on his magic and escapes,he was genre-adjacent:
- His movie serialMaster Mystery(1919) featured Q the Mechanical Man,one of the first robots on film.
- In his filmThe Man from Beyond(1922),he plays a man frozen in ice in 1820 and revived in 1922.
- He had a couple of pieces of fiction published inWeird Tales(ghost-written by H.P.Lovecraft).
(2)WEAR YOUR HALLOWEEN COSTUME TO WORK.This won the Internet today:
— SuccessIntheMaking?(@XoPinkHellooX)October 31,2018
(3)CANDY CONVERTER.Here's what you all are going to be looking for later tonight – fromAdweek,"Reese's Halloween Vending Machine Lets You Exchange Trash Candy for the Good Stuff".
According to theFood Network,the machines had their maiden voyage on October 27 in Tarrytown,New York,birthplace of the Legend of Sleepy Hollow,at the town's big annual Halloween parade.And on Halloween,October 31,Reese's will set up a Candy Exchange Vending Machine in New York City,so New Yorkers can ditch whatever candy they're not that into for Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.
(4)SERIOUS SCIENTIFIC CANDY TALK.FromLAist,"LAist's Ultra Scientific Halloween Candy Ranker Proves Reese's Is The 亚博体育下载appBest Candy Bar Ever".
(5)BLACK PANTHER ON HALLOWEEN.Michael Cavna and David Betancourt in the WashingtonPostask if it's all right for white kids to dress as characters fromBlack Pantherfor Halloween,with many white parents bothered by this but African-Americans such as director Reg Hudlin andBlack Panthercostume director Ruth E.Carter told him,"Yes,any kid can wear a Black Panther costume,say creators who helped shape the character".
SINCE FEBRUARY,when Disney/Marvel's smash "Black Panther" first captured not onlyaudience attentionbut also thecultural zeitgeist,reporters have been asking the question: Which kids are permitted to don the superhero costume from the fictional African nation of Wakanda?
Or as Joshua David Stein wondered in a column at the time forFatherly: "Should I allow my white son to dress as a black superhero?"
Jen Juneau wrote onPeople.comthis month: "Parents of white children may want to think twice before purchasing a Black Panther Halloween costume this year." And Steph Montgomery,writing this month for the online publicationRomper,said: "I don't think it's appropriate for my white children to dress up as main characters T'Challa and Shuri,or the members of Dora Milaje — the badass women special forces of Wakanda.
…But in interviews with The Washington Post,several creators who have helped shape the Black Panther character,along with other prominent authors who have written characters of color,are adamant: Any kid can dress as Black Panther.
"The idea that only black kids would wear Black Panther costumes is insane to me," saidReg Hudlin,the Oscar-nominated filmmaker who has worked on Wakanda-set projects for both the page and screen,including the animated TV miniseries "Black Panther." "Why would anyone say that?"
…Ruth E.Carter,the Oscar-nominated costume designer ("Malcolm X," "Amistad"),created the beautifully intricate attire for Ryan Coogler's "Black Panther," drawing inspiration from not only the comics but also from real-world designs in Africa.
She says the point in creating such Afrofuturistic art is to build not barriers but,rather,cultural bridges — and so fans should embrace that the world of Black Panther is "taking its royal place in the vast Comic-Con and cosplayer universe."
So why are people posing this question over T'Challa now,Carter says rhetorically.
"The only reason we're asking that question now is because the Black Panther is a black man.And I think that's what's wrong with people — that's what's wrong with parents," Carter said."Because I see kids far and wide embracing the concept of a superhero.I believe they see him as someone who is majestic and powerful and doing good,and has a kingdom and a legacy and is pretty cool.I don't think they see a black guy — I think they see the image of a superhero," she added,and "it happens to be the Black Panther just as it happens to be Superman."
(6)FUTURE TENSE.Each month in 2018,Future Tense Fiction—a series of short stories from Future Tense and ASU'sCenter for Science and the Imaginationabout how technology and science will change our lives— is publishing a story on a theme.
This month's entry in the Future Tense Fiction series is: "Burned-Over Territory" by Lee Konstantinou.
I'm halfway through a plate of soggy risotto,giving my opinion about the Project Approval Framework,when my phone buzzes.I thought I'd muted notifications.I'm tempted to check the alert,but 30 faces are watching me,all Members,some from Zardoz House,the rest from other Houses around Rochester.We're at a table made from reclaimed wood,which is covered with food and drink.It's freezing.Everyone's wearing sweaters,hats,coats,scarves,mittens;I'm in a blue blazer over a T-shirt,jeans,and leather boots.My hair is buzzed into a crew cut,and even though it makes me feel like an ass clown,I'm wearing makeup….
It was published along with a response essay,"What Problem Is Universal Basic Income Really Trying to Solve?",by UBI advocate Sebastian Johnson.
…Manypolicy advocates and technologistshave promoted universal basic income,or UBI,as one way to cope with the specter of joblessness wrought by advances in artificial intelligence.UBI would provide each individual with a no-strings-attached payment each month to cover basic needs and prevent individuals from falling below the poverty line.The benefits of UBI,according to proponents,would include the elimination of poverty,the fairer distribution of technologically generated wealth,and human flourishing.Critics are less sanguine,variously seeing in UBI a Trojan horse fordismantling the welfare state,an ill-considered policy that will sap humans of the self-actualization and pride derived from work,and awholly inadequate responseto the structural problems with late capitalism….
(7)WATCH THE WATCH.Deadlinereports"Terry Pratchett's ‘Discworld' Adaptation ‘The Watch' Lands At BBC America".
The U.S.cable network describes the show as a "punk rock thriller" inspired by the City Watch subset ofDiscworldnovels.The character-driven series centers on Terry Pratchett's misfit cops as they fight to save a ramshackle city of normalized wrongness,from both the past and future in a perilous quest.
The Watchfeatures manyDiscworldcreations including City Watch Captain Sam Vimes,the last scion of nobility Lady Sybil Ramkin,the naïve but heroic Carrot Ironfoundersson,the mysterious Angua and the ingenious forensics expert Cheri together with Terry Pratchett's iconic characterization of Death…
(8)KEPLER OBIT.Phys.orgbids farewell to an exoplanet pioneer:"Kepler telescope dead after finding thousands of worlds".
NASA's elite planet-hunting spacecraft has been declared dead,just a few months shy of its 10th anniversary.
Officials announced the Kepler Space Telescope's demise Tuesday.
Already well past its expected lifetime,the 9 1/2-year-old Kepler had been running low on fuel for months.Its ability to point at distant stars and identify possible alien worlds worsened dramatically at the beginning of October,but flight controllers still managed to retrieve its latest observations.The telescope has now gone silent,its fuel tank empty.
"Kepler opened the gate for mankind's exploration of the cosmos," said retired NASA scientist William Borucki,who led the original Kepler science team.
Kepler discovered 2,681 planets outside our solar system and even more potential candidates.
(9)TODAY IN HISTORY
- October 31,1936– The future founders ofJet Propulsion Laboratory lit off their first rocket together:
They were out there on Halloween 1936 to try what few people at the time had tried: lighting a liquid rocket engine.It took them four attempts to get a rocket to fire for a glorious three seconds — though an oxygen hose also broke loose and sent them scampering for safety as it thrashed around.
- October 31,1962—The First Spaceship On Venuspremiered at your local drive-in.
[Compiled by Cat Eldridge and JJ.]
- Born October 31,1923 –Art Saha,Writer,Editor,Conrunner,and Member of First Fandom who is credited with coining the term "Trekkies".After becoming an editor at DAW books,he edited 8 volumes ofThe Year's 亚博体育下载appBest Fantasy,and,with Donald Wollheim,19 volumes ofThe Annual World's 亚博体育下载appBest SF.He also edited the souvenir program book for the 1977 Worldcon and was a co-editor of the fanzineParnassus.He was president of First Fandom and the NY Science Fiction Society (the Lunarians),chaired a number of Lunacons,and was named to the First Fandom Hall of Fame in 1992.
- Born October 31,1930 –Michael Collins,88,Astronaut and Test Pilot who was the Command Module pilot for Apollo 11 while Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin descended to become the first astronauts on the moon.He later served as U.S.Assistant Secretary of State for Public Affairs,then went on to be director of the National Air and Space Museum,before becoming undersecretary of the Smithsonian Institution.
- Born October 31,1937 –Jael,81,Artist,Illustrator,and Fan whose work has appeared in books,magazines,and calendars.She became interested in producing speculative art after attending a symposium on contact with aliens and meeting writers C J Cherryh,Larry Niven,and Jerry Pournelle.在50年的职业生涯中,she has created more than 38,000 paintings and images,many of which are housed in public and private collections.She has received eight Chesley Award nominations,and has been Guest of Honor at numerous conventions.
- October 31,1941 –Dan Alderson,Rocket Scientist and Fan who worked for NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory,where he wrote the navigation software for Voyagers 1 and 2,as well as trajectory monitoring software for low-thrust craft which was used for decades.He was a member of the Los Angeles Science Fantasy Society,an Official Editor of the comic book APACAPA-alpha,and an early member of gaming fandom.He died of complications of diabetes at the far-too-young age of 47,but has been immortalized as "Dan Forrester" in Niven and Pournelle'sLucifer's Hammer.
- Born October 31,1950 –John Franklin Candy,Actor and Comedian from Canada 亚博体育下载appbest known in genre circles for playing Barf in Mel Brooks'Spaceballs,as well as appearing in Frank Oz'sLittle Shop of Horrors,Splash,Heavy Metal,Boris and Natasha,and the hilarious alt-historyCanadian Bacon(one of JJ's favorites).He was the narrator of "Blumpoe the Grumpoe Meets Arnold the Cat/Millions of Cats" for Shelley Duvall'sBedtime Stories.His talents were lost to the world far too early when he passed away in his sleep at the age of 43.
- Born October 31,1959 –Neal Stephenson,59,Writer and Game Designer who is well known for doorstopper-length,award-nominated science fiction novels,includingThe Diamond Age,Cryptonomicon,Anathem,theBaroque Cycletrilogy,Snow Crash,and the hotly-debatedSeveneves.His works have been translated into numerous languages and have won Hugo,Clarke,Prometheus,Premio Ignotus,Kurd Laßwitz,and Prix Imaginaire Awards.This year he was recognized with the Robert A.Heinlein Award,which recognizes authors who produce exceptional works promoting space exploration.
- Born October 31,1961 –Peter Jackson,57,Writer,Director,and Producer from New Zealand whose most famous genre works are the spectacularLord of the RingsandHobbitmovies,as well asThe Frighteners,King Kong,The Lovely Bones,and the upcomingMortal Engines.His use of the NZ-based Weta Workshop for his films has helped turn that firm into a computer graphics and special-effects powerhouse now known for their work on many Hollywood blockbusters.
- Born October 31,1982 –Justin Chatwin,36,Actor from Canada who was the principal guest star in the rather delightful 2016Doctor WhoChristmas special "The Return of Doctor Mysterio".He's also been inWar of The Worlds,Dragonball Evolution,andThe Invisible;had recurring roles in theOrphan BlackandAmerican Gothicseries;and appeared in episodes ofThe Listener,Lost,Smallville,Mysterious Ways,andNight Visions.
- Born October 31,1979 –Erica Cerra,39,Actor from Canada who is 亚博体育下载appbest known for her portrayal of Deputy Jo Lupo on theEurekaseries,but has extensive genre credentials which include recurring roles onBattlestar GalacticaandThe 100,and guest parts in episodes ofSupernatural,The 4400,Smallville,The Dead Zone,Warehouse 13,iZombie,Reaper,Dead Like Me,Special Unit 2,andSanctuary.You get to guess how many were filmed in Vancouver,BC…
- Born October 31,1994 –Letitia Michelle Wright,24日,Guyanese-born British Actor who,in just 8 short years,has built a substantial genre resume including a recurring role in the TV seriesHumansand guest parts in theDoctor Whoepisode "Face the Raven" and theBlack Mirrorepisode "Black Museum",for which she received an Emmy Award nomination.Her genre film credits include a Saturn-nominated role as Shuri inBlack Panther(a character which will be the subject of a new comic book series by Hugo winner Nnedi Okorafor),Ready Player One,Avengers: Infinity War,and the upgomingAvengerssequel.
(11)WIMPY BOOK TOUR.Christina Barron in the WashingtonPostsays thatDiary of a Wimpy Kidauthor Jeff Kinney,rather than a traditional book tour,is having "Wimpy Kid Live: The Meltdown Show," with "costumes,cartooning,and the chance to stump the author onWimpy Kidtrivia:"Jeff Kinney puts on a show to launch new ‘Wimpy Kid' book".
Considering "The Meltdown" is Number 13 in the series,you might expect Kinney's next book to be "Diary of a Weary Writer." But instead of slowing down,the author is changing up what he does when he meets his many fans.He's doing a few typical talks and book signings,but Kinney is also putting on a show.
"We thought it would be really fun to change the idea of what a book signing is," Kinney said in a recent phone conversation.
(12)AGITPROP. The Hollywood Reportertakes note when a"'Rehire James Gunn' Billboard Appears Near Disneyland":
On Monday,a digital billboard popped up in Garden Grove,California,at an intersection just over four miles away from Disneyland in Anaheim.The billboard,which reads "Save the Galaxy: James Gunn forVol.3," was paid for via aGoFundMecampaign that has raised nearly $5,000 since launching last month.The campaign sprang from the minds of a group of fans who organized online soon after Disneyfired Gunnas director ofGuardians 3on July 20,after conservative personalities resurfaced old tweets in which the filmmaker joked about rape and pedophilia.
(13)SUMMER SCARES.The Horror Writers Association announced its"Summer Scares Reading Program".
The Horror Writers Association (HWA),in partnership with United for Libraries,Book Riot,and Library Journal/School Library Journal,has launched a reading program that provides libraries and schools with an annual list of recommended horror titles for adult,young adult (teen),and middle grade readers.The goal is to introduce new authors and help librarians start conversations with readers that will extend beyond the books from each list and promote reading for years to come.
Each year,a special guest author and a committee of four librarians will select 3 recommended fiction titles in each of 3 reading levels (Middle Grade,Teen,and Adult),for a total of 9 Summer Scares selections.The goal of the program is to encourage a national conversation about the entire horror genre,across all age levels,at libraries all over the country and ultimately get more adults,teens,and children interested in reading.Official Summer Scares designated authors will also be available to appear,either virtually or in person,at public and school libraries all over the country,for free.
The committee's final selections will be announced on February 14— National Library Lover's Day.Some or all of the authors of those titles will appear on kickoff panels during Librarian's Day at StokerCon each year.
(14)CIXIN LIU ADAPTATION.AtThe Verge,Weekend Editor Andrew Liptak seems to be taken with the teaser trailer for the Chinese filmThe Wandering Earth,an adaptation of a Cixin Liu story.("The Wandering Earth could be China's breakout sci-fi blockbuster film") The movie appears to be the first in a proposed six-film franchise.
China isn't typically known for its science fiction blockbusters,but a new trailer for an upcoming film calledThe WanderingEarth has all the hallmarks of a big,Hollywood-style genre movie: it features a dramatic story of the Earth in peril,complete with eye-popping scenes of spaceships escaping Earth.
The Wandering Earthis based on a story by Cixin Liu,the author 亚博体育下载appbest known forThe Three-Body Problem, and,more recently,Ball Lightning.In the original story,scientists discovered that the sun is on the verge of turning into a red giant,and when it does,it'll expand beyond the orbit of Mars,incinerating all of the solar system's potentially habitable planets.They concoct a desperate plan to move Earth out of the solar system to a new star,Proxima Centauri.
(15)NOT GOING AT NIGHT.Popular Scienceraised a cheer because"NASA's Parker Solar Probe just smashed two all-time records on its way to the sun".The Parker Solar Probe has broken records as the fastest moving manmade object (relative to the Sun) and the closest manmade object to the Sun.Over a series of orbits,the perihelion will get progressively closer to the Sun,until the PSP dips into the solar corona.
The coronaparadoxically burns millions of degrees hotter than the surface of the star itself,despite extending millions of miles into space.NASA expects that Parker will directly sample this unexplored zone on its 22nd orbit,which will take place in about six years.
Until then it will continue to 亚博体育下载appbest its own speed and closest approach records,which McDowell says is a fitting update to the largely overlooked legacy of Helios 1 and 2."The great 1970s space probes,the really ambitious ones,there were three pairs: Viking, Voyager,and Helios.You've heard of Viking and Voyager,but you've never heard of Helios," [astrophysicist Jonathon] McDowell says.Its measurements of the solar wind and magnetic field didn't capture the public's imagination in the same way as its camera-bearing cousins did,he suggests,but its speed record stood for nearly 42 years nonetheless.
(16)THE OLD EQUATIONS. Geek Tyrantcan't wait:"Anna Kendrick Heads To Mars in a New Sci-Fi Film Called STOWAWAY".
Anna Kendrick is set to star in a new sci-fi thriller from XYZ Films calledStowaway.We've never really seen Kendrick in a sci-fi film before,so it's cool to see her try something new.
Stowawayfollows "the crew of a spaceship headed to Mars that discovers an accidental stowaway shortly after takeoff.Too far from Earth to turn back and with resources quickly dwindling,the ship's medical researcher (Kendrick) emerges as the only dissenting voice against the group consensus that has already decided in favor of a grim outcome."
(17)WOMEN OF THE GALAXY.A new book shows off badass female characters from theStar Warsuniverse (Polygon: "New art showcases the badassest women in theStar Warsuniverse").The hardcover is a 30 October release from Chronicle Books and features a foreword by producerKathleen Kennedy.It lists for $29.95.
Women of the Galaxy,a new art book examining female characters from every corner of theStar Warsuniverse,is exactly the kind of thing I would have read cover to cover twice in one sitting if you'd given it to me when I was nine.
From Jedi Master Aayla Secura to bounty hunter Zam Wesell,each alphabetical entry features art from a group of 18 women illustrators,as well as an explanation of the character's history from Nerdist andStarWars.comwriter Amy Ratcliffe.And with more than 70 characters in the book,there's bound to be someone in here you've never heard of,but wish you had.
(18)DINO SUIT.Here's our chance to test who are the most ferocious predators,Jurassic Parkdinos or Hollywood lawyers:"‘Jurassic World' Campaign to "Save the Dinos" Sparks $10M Lawsuit"
TheJurassic World: Fallen Kingdomcampaign to "Save the Dinos" has sparked a $10 million trademark infringement and breach of contract lawsuit against producers.
Frederick Zaccheo of The Dinosaur Project claims filmmakers breached their contract with him by using the slogan on merchandise.
According to the complaint filed Tuesday in New York federal court,lawyers for Universal and Steven Spielberg's Amblin Entertainment contacted Zaccheo requesting his consent to use his trademarked phrase.They paid him $50,000 for the right to use it in advertising for the film and promised not to use it in connection with clothing or to promote any charity,specifically animal rights,endangered species and environmental causes.They also agreed that the slogan must always be used withJurassic Parkfranchise branding.
"In the months leading up to the release ofJurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, Defendants launched a multi-faceted advertising and marketing campaign centered around the theme of saving the fictional dinosaurs on the fictional island from the fictional volcano," writes attorney Hillel Parness in the complaint."To that end,Defendants created the ‘Dinosaur Protection Group,' a fictional organization run by the character of Claire Dearing from the firstJurassic Worldfilm and portrayed by Bryce Dallas Howard."
The campaign included a Dinosaur Protection Group website and social media sites and featured an Adopt-A-Dinosaur contest which offered Save the Dinos merchandise as prizes.(See the complaint below for screenshots.)
(19)ORLY?Camestros Felapton was surprised to hear the founder of Infogalactic touting it as a success:"Voxopedia Again".
…What had caught my interest was that much of the content was actually about Voxopedia,the vanity Wikipedia project that's just like Wikipedia but out of date and with nonsense attached.I was curious because manifestly as a project it has failed and clearly at some point it will be abandoned.I had assumed that it had already slipped into a zone of lack-of-interest as newer,shinier projects competed for attention*.But it seems not.rather Vox was holding up Voxopedia as a shining example of how he has all the experience he needs to run a social network.
Now note,currently Voxopedia has about 6-10 active editors or whom only two really are doing any work,two of whom are just feuding conspiracy theories maintaining their own separate (and incompatible) conspiracy pages,one of whom is engaged in a personal campaign to document all things about Englebert Humperdinck (and nothing else) and one of whom is doing nothing but write hate pieces about transgender people….
(20)VIDEO OF THE DAY.In "Halloween: John Locke vs.The Zombies" on YouTube,American Enterprise Institute fellow Jonah Goldberg explains why political philosopher John Locke would support killing zombies during a zombie apocalypse.
[Thanks to Bill,John King Tarpinian,Joey Eschrich,Mike Kennedy,Chip Hitchcock,JJ,Cat Eldridge,Martin Morse Wooster,Carl Slaughter,and Andrew Porter for some of these stories.Title credit goes to File 770 contributing editor of the day Lise Andreasen.]